Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - How High Will You Climb?

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Book Review - How High Will You Climb?

How High Will You Climb?
 photo disclaimer2_zps8af35ac1.jpg

About the Book
How high will you climb? John Maxwell says it all depends on your attitude.

Nose up or nose down? Just as the angle of an airplane determines its altitude, so does the approach we take-to family, to work, to life in general-determine the attitude we present the world. The way we solve a problem is often secondary to the approach we take in facing the problem, our outward expression every bit as critical as the inward struggle. When the skies above appear stormy, how will you steer that internal plane we call attitude?

With How High Will You Climb?, author John Maxwell presents detailed lessons on the single invaluable quality that has become a person's primary force toward success. As the world around us delivers challenges-all the while marching on at its own inevitable pace-the attitude we choose affects each of us individually. And yes, an attitude can be chosen. Attitude is easy in times of joy and progress. But how do you handle the failures sure to interrupt the attainment of goals? What happens to us is often quite different from what happens in us.

Calling the Bible a "handbook on attitude performance," Maxwell emphasizes we are never actually flying solo. God supports our approach to problem solving and helps steer the attitude adjustments necessary to think correctly in a sometimes negative world. With a study guide to help evaluate and build upon your own flight angle, How High Will You Climb? establishes the fundamental elements for a steady, durable flight of life.



My Take on the Book
I love John Maxwell and love what he has to share on leadership. I think I have read almost every book on leadership that he has written and what I love best is that each is a bit different and the message that is being shared also differs.

I remember reading The Winning Attitude when it originally came out, but I had not gone back to this since then. This book has taken many of the concepts from that book, updated them and the examples (in some cases) and condensed the book substantially too.

Attitude at work and in life is SO important and can make or break your success. I tend to always have a positive and upbeat attitude in all that I do and I think that this has really led me far in my life and in my career. I will say though that those that steer toward the negative tend to really bring me down (even though I know that they shouldn't). Maxwell hits hard on negativity and shows through many examples the tremendous impact negativity can have on success.

I enjoyed the metaphor of a plane as it made so much sense to me. I find myself already sharing this with my staff and most of them really seem to understand and grasp these concepts too which is the sign of a great book in my perspective.

Overall this book was powerful and had many resources that can help readers to change their life and attitude for the better. Short and to the point, the book lays everything out in a clear, concise way, which makes the content easy to read and digest!


----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: