Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Parenting With A Story

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Book Review - Parenting With A Story

Parenting With A Story
 photo disclaimer2_zps8af35ac1.jpg

About the Book
Tell a young person what to do--play fair, be yourself, stick to the task at hand--and most will tune you out. But show them how choices and consequences play out in the real world, with real people, and the impact will be far more profound. "Parenting with a Story" gathers 101 narratives from people around the world and from all walks of life, reflecting unexpected moments of clarity about who they are and how they should treat others. The lessons illuminate the power of character--integrity, curiosity, creativity, grit, kindness, patience, gratitude, and more--to prepare us for anything. Sometimes heart-wrenching, sometimes funny, always compelling, these stories impart wisdom and help steer choices about: Resisting peer pressure - Remaining open-minded - Being humble - Making courageous decisions - Standing by their word - Bouncing back from failure - Showing compassion - Picking friends wisely - And more Stories help shape who we are and who we aspire to become. Share these, discuss them, and watch your child grow into the adult you'll be proud of. Free companion discussion guide on the author's site: Lead with a Story



My Take on the Book
As someone that only uses stories occasionally with my kids, I really learned a lot from the author. As I was reading through this book I started to really think about what I could do to better use my own experiences to help my kids to learn and grow from them. I also am now very interested in reading his book about stories and leadership within the workplace as if it is as well written as this was, I am thinking that this will also be a valuable resource. What was great about this was how the author weaved real life stories through the book to create a learning experience for the reader. This was a great book that I encourage all parents to read - you will learn a ton!


----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: