Dad of Divas' Reviews: Blu-ray Review - Hitchcock

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Blu-ray Review - Hitchcock

About the Movie
Oscar® winners Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren* are spellbinding in this provocative story about the making of one of cinema’s most iconic films. Plagued by both a reckless ego and nagging self-doubt, Hollywood legend Alfred Hitchcock (Hopkins) becomes obsessed with a grisly murder story that the studios won’t back. Determined, he risks his reputation, his home and even the love of his wife Alma (Mirren), as he sets out to make the film. Ultimately, Hitch wins Alma over, and the two collaborate to create an enduring masterpiece – Psycho. Also starring Scarlett Johansson, Toni Collette and Jessica Biel, Hitchcock is “a knockout from start to finish” (Rex Reed, New York Observer).

My Take on the Movie
I have been a fan of Alfred Hitchcock for some time and though some critics did not seem to like this I have to say that I was very impressed with not only the performances of Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren, but of all of the actors. I was transfixed at how well Hopkins transformed himself into the well-known director and Mirren played an amazing Alma too. You can tell that Hopkins immersed himself in the character that he was portraying (as he does for most of his roles that I have seen him in in the past).

On top of the great acting though I was also impressed with the overall writing of the movie itself. As a Psycho fan, I did not know the back story to the movie itself and as a viewer you completely get drawn in by the drama of the investment that Hitchcock makes to directing this film and ultimately as we all know, this movie becomes one of his biggest accomplishments!

I also loved how this movie was set up as a typical Hitchcock television show with Hitchcock introducing and concluding the film. This was a nice touch and seemed appropriate, especially with the overall movie tone.

I have to say that I would highly recommend all to see this, especially if you are a Hitchcock fan, as this is one that you will not soon forget!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: