Dad of Divas' Reviews: DVD Review - The Three Stooges

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

DVD Review - The Three Stooges

About the DVD 
The Farrelly Bros. (There’s Something About Mary, Dumb & Dumber) bring back a beloved classic comedy act with THE THREE STOOGES, a contemporary take on America’s favorite trio of boneheads coming to Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download July 17 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Sean Hayes (“Will & Grace”), Chris Diamantopoulos (“24”) and Will Sasso (“MADTV”) portray the troika of knuckleheads in three hysterical misadventures.

Left on the doorstep of an orphanage run by nuns, newborns Moe (Diamantopoulos), Larry (Hayes), and Curly (Sasso) grow up finger-poking, nyuk-nyuk-nyuking and woo-wooing their way to uncharted levels of knuckleheaded misadventure. Now, out to save their childhood home, only The Three Stooges could become embroiled with an oddball murder plot…while stumbling into starring roles in a phenomenally successful TV reality show.

The Three Stooges is fun for the whole family. With hilarious supporting performances from Larry David (“Seinfeld”), Jane Lynch (“Glee”), Sofia Vergara (“Modern Family”) and Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls), THE THREE STOOGES “Just Say Moe” edition Blu-ray is loaded with special features including a collection of entertaining and punchy pieces and a unique blend of classic “Stooge” elements in a contemporary setting. Prebook is June 20.




THE THREE STOOGES Blu-ray Special Features
  • Deleted/Extended Scenes
  • What’s the Big Idea? A History of The Three Stooges
  • Knuckleheads: Behind the Scenes of The Three Stooges
  • Did You Hear that? The Three Stooges Sound Effects
  • Poifect: Casting The Three Stooges
  • The Three Stooges Mash-up
  • Original Screen Test 
My Take on the DVD
If you were ever a fan of the Three Stooges from the past you will enjoy this movie. I remember growing up being introduced to the Three Stooges and being amazed that such bumbling oafs could actually survive, and this movie brings these three characters back in all their glory. I have to commend the casting on the movie as all of the actors did a great job and really brought the essence of the original characters back while making them relevant today. The movie provides laughs as well as situations where you just say, did they really just do that, but that is why people love the Three Stooges. You love them because they do the things that you would seemingly never do and I appreciated the disclaimer at the end of the movie from the directors to show that kids should not emulate and do the stunts that the Three Stooges did in the movie as they could be dangerous. Overall, if you are looking for a great film that brings back the Three Stooges, you should definitely check out this film!


All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

3 comments:

Best Business Brands said...

The Three Stooges were an American vaudeville and comedy act of the early to mid-20th century best known for Their Numerous short subject films.

Dan O. said...

I didn’t really think it was terrible as I thought it was going to be in the first place because surprisingly, it did have me laugh. However, those laughs came in way too far apart from each other and the film as a whole, ends up being a little too stretched out. Would have del Toro, Penn, and Carrey made this any better? Who knows?!? Good review.

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction “Dan O” as I thought it was a pretty straight forward recreation of the original with a modern setting. Considering the original, I think the Farley Brothers did as good of a job as they could. I really like Carey though and after he played Kaufman, he proved he can channel a person’s spirit well enough to play serious and funny. I probably wouldn’t have seen it either if I had not put it on my queue for my Blockbuster @Home account. I didn’t watch it until a weekend later, but the kids really enjoyed it. I like that I can return my movie anytime I like and there aren’t any additional fees. Plus I don’t have to drive to a store or rental box since they come in the mail, saving time and gas.