Dad of Divas' Reviews: Singapore Math Supplementary Workbooks for Summer Learning

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Singapore Math Supplementary Workbooks for Summer Learning

About the Books
More and more schools are using the Singapore math curriculum to improve their students’ math performance. Singapore math uses a unique concrete-pictorial-abstract approach along with problem-solving strategies and word problems designed to train students to connect different mathematical ideas. A number of carefully selected key topics are covered each year, allowing for in-depth learning and concept mastery. Originally created in Singapore, the official textbooks co-developed and published by Marshall Cavendish -- Primary Mathematics and Math in Focus -- are now in use around the world, including all 50 states of the U.S.

Marshall Cavendish has just introduced a series of supplementary workbooks. They are great for practicing or enriching math skills at home over the summer. The Math Practice the Singapore Way and Math Challenge the Singapore Way workbooks are arranged topically according to the latest Singapore Math syllabus.

Each series offers individual workbooks for grades 1 through 5. The exercises aid students in progressing systematically and the step-by-step answers provide them with an opportunity for self-evaluation and learning.

The exercises in Math Practice the Singapore Way help students focus on the essential skills required for today’s standardized testing, while the exercises in Math Challenge the Singapore Way enable students to reinforce concepts and enrich their understanding of math.

In addition, a free trial of Math Buddies Online www.mymathbuddies.com is available with the purchase of any workbook.

The Marshall Cavendish Singapore Math supplementary workbooks are $12.99 each and can be purchased at: http://www.marshallcavendish.us/marshallcavendish-us/education/catalog/workbooks/index.xml.

My Take on the Books
These workbooks were very thorough. I was amazed as I received books that were both 2nd & 3rd grade as my daughter has done quite well in math in school so I thought these would be a breeze. I was mistaken. These books were challenging and in some of the sections the concepts were far beyond where she left off in 1st grade, so we worked with her to understand the concepts and she was able to progress with no problems. I have to say that I am impressed with the workbooks thus far, and though I have yet to try out the Math Buddies Online world, if it is anything like these workbooks, I can tell that it will provide great learning fun for my daughters to enjoy!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

2 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing!!

Emily said...

My son was learning Singapore math before. However, he quit in three months because he couldn't stand its boring drills. Too much mental math was required so he felt it extremely tough. When I started looking for a US math home learning site for him, his school teacher recommended Beestar to us.
Beestar has many core subject programs but its math program is completely free. We subscribed to it and my son started working on its weekly math practice. Surprisingly we found its quality is much better than our expectation-after all we didn't pay any money. Clearly and logically organized, the questions cover almost every math skills they need to learn at school. My son likes it. I don't need to push him. He could always complete the practice on time. His math ability has been significantly improved during just one year. His teacher even suggested him enroll Beestar's GT math. I feel happy for him.