Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Corky Gives the Whole Scoop on the Facts of Life

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Book Review - Corky Gives the Whole Scoop on the Facts of Life

Corky Gives the Whole Scoop on the Facts of Life
 photo disclaimer2_zps8af35ac1.jpg

About the Book
Written for girls, ages 9-13, Corky Gives the Whole Scoop on the Facts of Life leads girls on a humorous and fact-filled journey about everything from pimples, bras and “fitting in” to menstruation and the basics of reproduction. Corky is a must have for any girl or family embarking on the “facts of life” topics. Told in a light-hearted and funny way, Corky will engage and empower girls with the awareness, knowledge and basic facts they need, while encouraging openness with their parents and caregivers. Through simple and interactive “scoops,” Corky helps girls understand the natural changes occurring in their bodies, while providing informative (and comforting) tips along the way. Corky Gives the Whole Scoop on the Facts of Life is the essential, all-inclusive source for what girls need to know, when they need to know it. Corky (and her Whole Scoop) is the follow-up book to Terri Shearer Trenchard’s previous book, Bork Reveals the Real Deal About the Facts of Life, which has been widely popular for 9-13 year old boys. Trenchard and her books have been featured in Maryland Family Magazine and Baltimore’s Child, while being endorsed by parents, educators, and pediatricians alike.



My Take on the Book
As a father of two girls I have to say that I am a bit of a loss at how to talk to my girls about puberty and I know that my oldest will be entering this phase of her life in a very short time. While I know that my wife can share some good perspectives with my girls, I know that I too should be in the know so that I can support my girls as they go through these changes in their lives. The author writes in a way that draws the young reader in and is easy to understand and to digest. I know that as young people enter this confusing period in their life having books and resources is so important. I read through this book very quickly and found each section to be something that opens a dialogue between the child and a person she can trust. It is this dialogue that provides weight to the information shared in this book as I know that I would want my daughters to not go through this period alone, and neither does the author of this book!


----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: