Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Nicholas: A Maine Tale

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Book Review - Nicholas: A Maine Tale


About the Book
To Nicholas, a small field mouse from Massachusetts, family is everything! A lovely leather journal chronicles all the important events of Nicholas’s family history. When it is destroyed in a flood, Nicholas will set off on a journey in search of his uncle and a copy of the precious journal. He crosses the state of Massachusetts in Book One, but his adventures will take him on to Maine (Book Two) following a cousin who has taken the copy of the journal with him when he traveled down east.

Nicholas will discover just how large and diverse a state Maine is as he searches for his cousin Francis. Along the way, he’ll learn a great deal about the state—the animals that live there, the geography, industries, and even the state’s history. He’ll make many new friends and perhaps even bump into an old friend on his travels across the great state of Maine.

My Take on the Book
In this story Nicholas continues to have adventures as he searches out his family. One of the things I really liked about this book is the fact that even though I've never been to the State of Maine, this book introduced me to the State, and by the end I got a better understanding of some of the intricacies within the State and some the things that were important to people (and animals) of the State, and my kids did too. This story, as well as the others in the series, would be great resources for any teacher trying to educate about the geography and differences between the different States within the United States. I know that I was educated, but also, and more importantly, my kids were educated about the differences between our state and the East Coast. The book also though shares many other messages in regards to friendship, hard work and perseverance. This is a great book that I highly encourage all to read!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: