Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - My Spanish Sticker Dictionary

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review - My Spanish Sticker Dictionary


About the Book
Younger boys and girls will have fun attaching colorful stickers to the themed illustrations in this book while they also begin learning words in Spanish. Starting at one of the sticker pages, they lift the sticker illustration that is labeled with its Spanish word and attach it to the space on the themed illustration that shows the word in English. After they've attached all sticker illustrations in the correct places, they will have an attractive bilingual sticker dictionary. The books' large themed illustrations on two-page spreads are surrounded by spaces where the stickers are to be attached. The picture themes are--
  • At the Zoo
  • In the Street
  • In the Forest
  • In the Classroom
  • At the Supermarket
  • In the Vegetable Garden
  • At the Fruit Stand
A simple pronunciation guide is supplied for each Spanish word, and kids will find an alphabetical bilingual word list at the back of the book. Also available from Barron's is a companion volume,: My French Sticker Dictionary, which uses the same format to teach children French vocabulary.

My Take on the Book
My wife was a Spanish teacher in two different elementary schools over the years and she was always working on trying to help students to learn the Spanish language at an early age. She also used many of the same techniques with their own children. Studies show that encouraging a second language early in a child's life will assist them in retaining a second language and will help with their overall comprehension of not only the second language but also their primary language. With that in mind this book was a fun book to read and to share with my own girls. Especially with my youngest, the idea of using stickers with learning a second language was genius. The book was easy to understand and interactive enough to keep my five-year-old entertained throughout the entire book. The book also though goes further into the Spanish language then I thought it would at the beginning, which was a nice surprise. Overall, this was a great book and one that I would highly recommend to any parent that is striving to incorporate a second language into the education of their own child.

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: