On October 9, 2012, fans can experience Disney’s greatest little mystery, in High Definition picture and sound, and go on a great big adventure as “The Great Mouse Detective” Mystery in the Mist Edition arrives on 2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack and HD Digital. When the diabolical Professor Ratigan kidnaps London’s master toymaker, the brilliant Basil of Baker Street and his trusted sidekick Dawson try to elude the ultimate trap and foil the perfect crime. This family classic on Disney Blu-ray proves big heroes come in small packages.
- Vincent Price (“Edward Scissorhands”) as the voice of Professor Ratigan
- Barrie Ingham (“The Triangle”) as the voice of Basil of Baker Street
- Val Bettin (“Shrek”) as the voice of Dr. David O. Dawson
- Susanne Pollatschek as the voice of Olivia Flaversham
- Candy Candido (“Herbie Rides Again”) as the voice of Fidget
- Diana Chesney (“Robin Hood: Men in Tights”) as the voice of Mrs. Judson
- Eve Brenner (TV’s “The Mentalist”) as the voice of The Mouse Queen
- Alan Young (TV’s “Mickey Mouse Works”) as the voice of Flaversham
Directors: Ron Clements (“The Princess and the Frog”), Burny Mattinson (“Tarzan”), David Michener (“Oliver & Company”), John Musker (“The Princess and the Frog”)
Producer: Burny Mattinson (“Mickey’s Christmas Carol”)
Writers: Peter Young (“Oliver & Company”), Vance Gerry (“Hercules”), Steve Hulett (“Oliver & Company”), Bruce Morris (“Hercules”), Matthew O’Callaghan (“Mickey’s Twice Upon a Christmas”), Melvin Shaw (“The Lion King”), Ron Clements, John Musker, Burny Mattinson, David Michener
Release Date: October 9, 2012
Suggested Retail Prices & Product Configurations:
Mystery in the Mist Edition 2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (1 Blu-ray Disc +1 DVD) =$29.99 U.S. and $35.99 Canada
HD Digital = Consumer should check with their preferred digital retailer for pricing and additional information.
Rating: G in U.S. and Canada. Bonus material not rated. Approximately 74 minutes
- “So You Think You Can Sleuth” – Viewers get an introduction to private investigating to kick off the “Great Mouse Detective” film.
- “The World’s Greatest Criminal Mind” Sing-A-Long Song – young fans can sing along with Vincent Price to the song’s villainous vocals.
- “The Making of the Great Mouse Detective” – In this bonus feature, fans get a behind the scenes look at this classic film.
My Take on the Blu-ray
As someone who always has liked the Sherlock Holmes stories, this was a fun story that does not always get the Disney acclaim that other Disney movies have in the past (but it should). The characters and plot are strong, and the music within it is memorable. The movie itself, while not like what you would see in movies such as Beauty and the Beast or the Little Mermaid, still has substance and depth, which in my perspective makes it an even stronger movie. If you have never seen this movie, you are missing out and I recommend that you go out right away to pick up a copy for your family. You will not be disappointed!
All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org