Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Beyond the Blackboard

Friday, July 15, 2011

Book Review - Beyond the Blackboard

About the Book
The Lessons learned in Beyond the Blackboard extend far beyond homelessness. They are lessons on how to love, in giving and receiving, in the power love has to heal and to help. They are also lessons in how keeping silent or acting unkindly can affect a human being and how the damage done to one person can sometimes be passed on to the next generations. The stories that Mrs. Bess shares are stories of children who have loved her, taught her new depths of pain and compassion, and shown her how vital it is for each of us to take care of our own–to love those around us in our families and communities enough to make a small difference in their lives.

Stacey Bess has a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from the University of Utah. She began to record the stories of some of her students at The School With No Name not because she intended to publish a book, but because the stories are so profound. Her outstanding service has been recognized with a number of honors, including the national Jefferson Award, and the Delta Kappa Gamma Educators Award.


My Take on the Book


I was first introduced to this book after watching the movie that was based on the book itself. I was very impressed with the movie and decided to reach out to Stacey Bess about her book. Stacey immediately remarked (which I was very impressed with) and she actually sent me a book to review.

In reading the book I found that the movie itself portrayed the author in a similar fashion to the book though the book went into so much more depth than the movie could. I was completely in awe of everything that Stacey did to make her children feel wanted and needed. She truly is the type of a teacher that any parent like myself would want to have teaching our children.

Watching my own wife as a teacher in an inner-city school during her first year as a teacher, I saw first hand the issues that she had to deal with and many were similar (yet not to the same extent as Stacey faced). The lack of funding, the fighting with administration, the advocating for her kids, the frustration, anger and overall lack of engagement with some of the parents. All of these issues were ones that she dealt with daily and I can only imagine what would it would have been like to first walk into the facility that the author walked into to try and build the class that she was asked to build.

The way in which this book was written was raw and emotional. It drew me into the book and the situation that Stacey had in her teaching experience. I have to commend Stacey on being the type of teacher that any teacher should aspire to be. This is the type of book that will amaze you and will inspire and motivate you to get involved in your schools and your teachers.

This book was remarkable and one that I will be sharing with many in the future!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed!
Subscribe in a reader Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: