About the Book
Children will be inspired by the inventiveness, beauty and diversity of the United States in this lavishly-illustrated collect of fact-filled maps. There are thousands of wondrous locations to be explored, hundreds of historical moments to discover, and the book also includes information on hundreds of people who helped make America what it is today.
A sampling of Inspiring People:
- FLORENCE SABIN 1871–1953 A Central City native, the “First Lady of American Science” was a groundbreaking medical researcher. (Colorado)
- LANA TURNER 1921–1995 Born in Wallace, this movie star was discovered by a Hollywood scout in a malt shop while playing hooky from high school. (Idaho)
- TONY DITERLIZZI b.1969 This author and illustrator who co- created The Spiderwick Chronicles series now lives in Amherst. (Massachussetts)
- NEIL PATRICK HARRIS b.1973 A Ruidoso native, this Tony Award winner’s first big hit was playing a teenage doctor on TV. (New Mexico)
- MARIA TALLCHIEF 1925–2013 Born in Fairfax, this skilled dancer was the first Native American prima ballerina. (Oklahoma)
A sampling of Moments to Remember:
- JULY 4, 1881: Booker T. Washington begins Tuskegee University in a one-room schoolhouse; 30 students are in the first class. (Alabama)
- MAY 16, 1966: The popular band the Beach Boys release their album Pet Sounds, featuring unusual instruments such as bike bells and dog whistles. (California)
- 1610: English sea captain Samuel Argall sails into the bay and names it “Delaware” after the governor of Virginia, Lord De La Warr. (Delaware)
- MAY 24, 1883: The Brooklyn Bridge opens and 21 elephants cross to test its strength! (New York)
- JANUARY 3, 1987: Aretha Franklin, the “Queen of Soul,” one of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time, becomes the first female performer in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. (Tennessee)
The 50 States is a big, beautiful book kids can explore over and over again. A winner!
My Take on the Book
This was a fun book with great illustrations and maps. What was great with this book was not only that there were great maps, but how much information about the State was included with each map. While we have not traveled extensively, this allowed my kids to truly explore our country in a new and fun way. I believe that it also excited them about the possibility of exploring more of our wonderful country.
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org