Dad of Divas' Reviews: Audiobook Review - The History of the Musical

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Audiobook Review - The History of the Musical

About the Audiobook
A major production for Naxos AudioBooks and a unique Audiobook, this bold and entertaining undertaking traces the musical from its origins in classical music (Gay’s The Beggar’s Opera, Offenbach’s operettas and Gilbert and Sullivan) through to its flowering in America; Showboat, Anything Goes, High Society, Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma, West Side Story, The Sound of Music, Oliver, Cabaret, A Little Night Music, The Rocky Horror Show, The Phantom of the Opera – the list is endless. So are the stars who made the musicals live the composers, Kern, Porter, Gershwin, Bernstein, Lloyd Webber; the famous partnerships such as Rogers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe; the performers Ethel Merman, Mary Martin, Howard Keel, Julie Andrews… and the tempestuous creative background to the productions themselves. With over 120 musical examples illustrating this remarkable story, the history of the musical in all its glory comes alive. Features over 100 musical examples.

My Take on the Audiobook
I have been a fan of musicals since I was a child. My parents would bring me to see them at my local high school or even to larger venues in Detroit or other cities. Thus, this audiobook, for me, was so interesting. In its complete unabridged version this book brings you through the complex history of the musical that is today. I learned so much about many musicals I had never heard of as well as writers that were well known in their day that I missed out on too. One of the things that I loved about this book was that there were so many interludes throughout the book that gave you a snippet into the musicals, using cast recordings so you could just close your eyes and wish that you were there. I also enjoyed listening to Kim Criswell reading the book. As a broadway insider she was a great choice for reading the book and she also did a great job. If you enjoy musicals, take yourself on a journey and let yourself get educated on the History of the Musical, you will not be disappointed.

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: