“I'm happy to be a part of a program that promises some excellent entertainment in support of some very worthy causes,” said Bob Costas.
Chase will grant a total of $2 million to the five featured charitable organizations, which were selected from a list of 25 previous CCG grant recipients with the help of some of Chase’s online customers as well as Chase Community Giving (CCG) Facebook fans. The organization with the most votes will receive a $1 million grant, the runner-up will be granted $500,000, a third organization will receive a $250,000 grant and two will be given $125,000 grants.
“We are delighted to help create the first-ever American Giving Awards and celebrate these outstanding past Chase Community Giving winners,” said Kimberly Davis, President of the JPMorgan Chase Foundation. “We hope this exciting television event will draw even more support for all of the causes featured and encourage Americans everywhere to get involved and support the thousands of local organizations making a difference in communities across the country every day.”
The five finalists to be honored at the AGAs each represent one of the five categories recognizing the “building blocks” of our communities:
Educators and Mentors
- Let’s Get Ready, Inc., of New York, NY, works to expand college access for motivated, low-income high school students by providing free SAT preparation and college admission counseling.
- To Write Love on Her Arms, of Cocoa, FL, is dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery.
Heroes and Leaders
- Wish Upon a Hero Foundation, Inc., of Moorestown, NJ, utilizes social media and technology to connect those in need of support, including patients with long-term illnesses, military families, and natural disaster survivors, with people who can fulfill their wishes and truly change their lives.
- Move for Hunger, Inc., of Neptune, NJ, works with moving companies across America to pick up the unopened, non-perishable food items from people during the moving process and deliver it to their local food banks.
- · Matthew Shepard Foundation, of Casper, WY, was created in the memory of anti-gay hate crime victim Matthew Shepard to encourage respect for human dignity and difference by raising awareness, opening dialogues, and promoting positive change.
Chase Community Giving leverages the power of social media to “crowdsource” how charitable dollars should be allocated. This program was developed by Chase to complement its charitable giving, which totals over $150 million annually. Chase Community Giving relies on its nearly 3 million fans on Facebook to help decide which local nonprofits should receive grant money from Chase. Since its inception in 2009, CCG fans have helped Chase award over $15 million to 400 local charities across the country representing causes such as building schools in Africa, providing food and shelter to the homeless, and supporting the performing arts.
The final round of voting for the American Giving Awards opens on December 1, 2011 and closes on December 8, 2011.
During the voting period, participants may vote for charities on Facebook and in some cases on the Chase.com platform. For more information on the program and how to vote, please visit http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving.
About Bob Costas:
Bob Costas, 22-time Emmy Award-winner is one of the most respected and honored broadcasters of his generation. He has been named “National Sportscaster of the Year” an unprecedented eight times. Bob has covered nearly every major sport, though most identified with the Olympics and baseball. He has been with NBC since 1979 and currently serves as the host of "Football Night in America." He began working for the Major League Baseball Network in 2009. He is also a bestselling author. Costas began his broadcasting career in 1973 at WSYR-TV and Radio in Syracuse, N.Y. He later joined KMOX Radio in St. Louis. One of television’s most gifted interviewers; Costas won acclaim as the host of HBO’s "CostasNOW," a monthly one-hour sports magazine program.
All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at email@example.com