Dad of Divas' Reviews: Game Review - Scripps Spelling Bee

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Game Review - Scripps Spelling Bee

About the Game
Spellers unite!  THQ Inc. today announced the release of Scripps Spelling Bee®, a fun and challenging video game based on the nation's largest and longest-running educational program.  The game is available at retailers nationwide for play on the Nintendo DSi™/Nintendo DS™ hand-held systems and includes a variety of educational mini-games, including Word Search and Word Maze.  Scripps Spelling Bee is a great example of “fun in learning” as it engages players in a variety of contests as they vie to become the spelling wizard champion.  Adding a level of personalization, Scripps Spelling Bee lets players input their own list of words into the mini-games as well as create custom study lists which can be helpful when preparing for school exams.  Scripps Spelling Bee is rated E for everyone and is now available for the suggested retail price of $19.99.

About Scripps Spelling Bee
Scripps Spelling Bee presents a variety of ways to practice spelling through three modes: Championship, Practice and Mini-Games. The Championship mode allows players to progress through a revised version of the tournament that is broadcasted on ABC and ESPN each year.  The Practice area lets players go through a spelling bee without the pressure of points or elimination and adds a few bonuses along the way.  The Mini-Games section houses a variety of fun spelling and word puzzles, such as Word Memory, Word Maze and Word Search.  Progress throughout the game is tracked in the Trophy Case, which keeps track of scores and prizes, as well as unlocks special themes and icons for the game.

My Take on the Game I am always looking for games that will help my daughter learn. As a girl that loves technology, she is always looking for fun new ways to be able to have fun. As a parent, if I can incorporate learning into the fun, I say, even better!

As I and my daughter played this game, I liked many of the features within it. I loved the fact that you could upload spelling lists from school ad the number of interactive games that are a part of the overall game. I found the controls to be easy enough to use and the mini games are awesome! I did have some trouble understanding what was being said on the game while it was playing, but on a whim I tried headphones and was able to get a better understanding of what was being said.  

You do have to play with the game a bit to understand the game, as the instructions were a bit lacking. I was however able to figure it out without too much difficulty. 

Overall this is a great learning tool, and I am glad to have it in my own home!

If you would like this game for yourself you can find it on Amazon!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Terms of Use  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: