Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Where in the World is Away?

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book Review - Where in the World is Away?

About the Book 
On April 18th, in celebration of Earth Day, Michael Franti released his second children's book "Where In The World Is Away?"- a story about the importance of recycling, reducing waste, and re-using what we can. With illustrations by Ben Hodson who collaborated with Franti on his debut children's book, "What I Be". The self-published book is available in hardcover. It comes with a humorous read along CD featuring Franti, his son Ade, friend Addison Savage, singer Jolene Rust, and Spearhead band mate J Bowman. The books are printed and manufactured in the USA using environmentally-friendly soy ink on elemental chlorine-free, sustainably harvested, recycled stock! "I read to both of my sons every night of their childhood," said Franti. "Reading is a precious time when we get to be close to our children and pass down stories, both real and make believe, that shape the way they view the world. I hope that this book inspires families and children to make recycling as much a part of their lives as brushing their teeth before bedtime...only more fun!" says Franti. After visiting a garbage dump in Bali while filming the video for his song "Hey World" and seeing hills of garbage as far as the coastline, Franti was inspired to pen "Where In The World Is Away?". The book's message is a simple one; just because we throw away our trash and it's taken off somewhere else doesn't mean it really goes away. It's up to us to recycle, reduce waste, and re-use what we can. A musician, poet, social humanitarian, and activist, Michael Franti is recognized as a pioneering force in using music as a vehicle for social activism. Michael Franti and Spearhead, has organized and contributed to numerous social justice initiatives through the years as well as becoming one of music's most exciting live concert performers.


My Take on the Book 
This was a wonderfully written book that speaks about the environment, friendship and so much more! I loved the fact that they printed the book with soy ink and on environmentally friendly paper. I know that I had some great conversations with my own daughters about the importance of this and about being good to our environment altogether while reading this book and I know your family will as well! Also with the book though is a CD that was another great addition to the book itself. The author has done a great job at sharing a very important story and the illustrator has come up with images that just jump off the page. This was a great book that I truly enjoyed reading and I know that you will too!


All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: