Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Home and Away

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Book Review - Home and Away

About the Book
David French picked up the newspaper in the comfort of his penthouse in Philadelphia, and read about a soldier - father of two - who was wounded in Iraq. Immediately, he was stricken with a question: Why him and not me?

This is the story of what happens when a person - rather a family - answers the call to serve their nation. David was a 37-year-old father of two, a Harvard Law graduate and president of a free speech organization. In other words, he was used to pushing pencils, not toting M16s.

His wife Nancy was raising two children and writing from home. She was worrying about field trips and playdates, not about her husband going to war.

HOME AND AWAY chronicles not just a soldier at war, but a family at war - a husband in Iraq, a wife and children at home, greeting each day with hope and fear, facing the challenge with determination, tears, and more than a little joy.

My Take on the Book
I have to say that I know of so many military families that have gone through so much being separated for multiple tours. This book was such an engaging book. I loved the back and forth style of the book that was shared where David wrote one chapter and Nancy the other. I related to many of the concerns that were raised by both as I have heard friends that were going overseas and their spouses mentioning the same concerns. The book allows emotions to be freely shared between the authors and you can truly feel the issues and experiences as if they are tangible for you as well as for the authors.

All-in-all, I have to say that this was a great book that allowed anyone that has been a split family due to war or a friend to one.



All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: