Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review -The Sacred Acre

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book Review -The Sacred Acre

About the Book
On a Sunday in May 2008, an F-5 tornado struck the town of Parkersburg, Iowa, killing eight people and destroying 250 homes and businesses within 34 seconds. The next day, Parkersburg's beloved football coach, Ed Thomas, made a stunning prediction: 'God willing, we will play our first home game here on this field this season.' One hundred days later, the home team scored a victory on the field they dubbed 'The Sacred Acre,' serving as a galvanizing point for the town to band together and rebuild. But just as Parkersburg was recovering, another devastating tragedy struck. While working with a group of football and volleyball players early one morning, one of Ed's former students walked in and gunned him down point blank. Ed Thomas was 58. The murder of this hometown hero spread across national news headlines. Ed's community and family reeled from shock. Yet the story doesn't end here. What happened next proves that even a double tragedy is no match for faith, love ... and the power of forgiveness.


My Take on the Book
This was an amazing story of strength and perseverance. While I have never lived through a tornado hitting a town that I have lived in, I was amazed to see the spirit that this town held onto after what has happened. I was also both inspired and motivated by Ed Thomas and the vision that he had for the town and the outcome that he pushed the town and its residents.

The story was heart-touching and there were times when I was brought to laughing as well as even bringing my emotions to the surface also. The author does a great job at capturing the feelings and the heart of the town's spirit and even though the town itself was devastated, their spirit was still strong.

This was a great book that I would highly recommend to all!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: