Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Snow Day

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Book Review - Snow Day

About the Book
Some things in life are constants. Mountains. Rivers. Sky.
But not on that particular December day. 


A glimpse at the world from my bedroom window had become an essential part of waking up. I needed to face a new day with a sense of permanence in a world gone wobbly. I needed to know that the mountains hadn’t roamed away during the night, the creek was right where I’d left it, and the sky hadn’t fallen just yet. It reminded me that while some things changed, the best did not.
The sense of stability I relied upon evaporated that morning. A peek through the shade revealed a world more foreign than familiar. The sharp edges of my reality had been rubbed smooth by some unseen hand. The mountains had been uprooted and planted elsewhere, the creek had disappeared behind a wall of white, and the sky had indeed fallen. 


“Sweet fancy Moses,” I whispered. 


“What’s the matter?” my wife murmured, rolling over on an elbow to look at me. Abigail pushed back the blond locks that a night’s worth of sleep had drawn over her eyes. She laid a warm hand on my shoulder and countered the chill of the glass. The same hand that had held my own through weeks of countless prayers and long talks, the one she would slip around me as we lay in bed trying to keep together what was unraveling. I loved that hand. 


“It’s snowing,” I said. “Hard. Gotta be six inches on the ground already…”
_________________________________________

So begins Snow Day, Billy Coffey’s debut novel about one ordinary man’s extraordinary day—the day his life falls apart so God can rebuild it.

Peter Boyd is a simple man who lives by a simple truth–a person gains strength by leaning on his constants. To him, those constants are the factory where he works, the God who sustains him, and the family he loves. But when news of job cuts comes against the backdrop of an unexpected snowstorm, his life becomes filled with far more doubts than certainties.

With his gentle humor and poignant storytelling, Billy Coffey brings you along as Peter spends his snow day glimpsing into the lives of the family, friends, and strangers of his small Virginia town. Each have had their own battles with life’s storms. Some have found redemption. Others are still seeking it. But all offer a piece to the puzzle of why we must sometimes suffer loss, and all will help him find a greater truth–our lives are made beautiful not by our big moments, but our little ones.

My Take on the Book
The author of this book does a great job at weaving an intricate tale that draws the reader into the book itself. You end of feeling like you are a part of the story itself. As a reader you will laugh and be inspired. The book itself takes a number of twists and turns that were unexpected, and relationships are revealed that are enjoyable to experience. I particularly loved the backdrop of the story, being that it was in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have loved my times in the Blue Ridge Mountains and this story just brought back many wonderful memories!

If this book sounds like something you would like in your own collection you can find it on Amazon!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Terms of Use  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: