Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Students Helping Students: A Guide for Peer Educators on College Campuses

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Book Review - Students Helping Students: A Guide for Peer Educators on College Campuses

Students Helping Students: A Guide for Peer Educators on College Campuses
 photo disclaimer2_zps8af35ac1.jpg

About the Book
This practical guide is considered the standard for training the thousands of college students who serve as leaders, tutors, counselors, and advisors for their peers. Beginning with a fundamental discussion of student growth and development and current research on the topic, the authors go on to provide learning objectives and exercises to help prepare peer educators for such tasks as tutoring, student orientation, residence hall advising, crisis intervention, coaching, and more.

Students Helping Students includes:
  • Updates on the most current research and the latest advances in technology
  • A revised model that contains service learning and student retention programs
  • The results of two intervention strategies: the Health Behaviors Assessment and the College Learning Effectiveness Inventory, which focus on the topics of wellness and academic success
  • Descriptive overviews of peer programs addressing sexuality, safety, violence reduction, residence life, online peer connections, and more


My Take on the Book
What an amazing resource for any higher education professional that is working to implement peer education/mentoring on their campus. The book was filled with great resources as well as practical ideas that are easy to implement. The book is written for every level of institution and every level of professional. After reading this I have to say that I can see how this could be used by first time or expert advisors too.

The authors have shared information that is steeped in research, while still making the tone and implementation tactics practical so all can understand!

This book comes at a perfect time at my institution as we are moving in a new direction and I believe that peer education will be key to solidifying the academic success that we want to see i all of our students. While this book will give me some starting places and theoretical underpinnings that I need, I have some other fundamental things that I have to set up too, and this book spelled some of this out for me as well.

I know that I and other professionals will find this book to be a must have in implementing the type of thoughtful learning experiences that we want to happen in these peer-to-peer interactions that we want to take place on our campuses.

I highly recommend this to all professionals working to make these interactions occur!


----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: