Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Book Review - Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me

About the Book"When I first discovered the grainy picture in my mother's desk-me as a towheaded two year old sitting in what I remember was a salmon-orange-stained lifeboat-I was overwhelmed by the feeling that the boy in the boat was not waving and laughing at the person snapping the photo as much as he was frantically trying to get the attention of the man I am today. The boy was beckoning me to join him on a voyage through the harrowing straits of memory. He was gambling that if we survived the passage, we might discover an ocean where the past would become the wind at our back rather than a driving gale to the nose of our boat. This book is the record of that voyage."  

At the age of sixteen, Ian Morgan Cron was told by his mother that his father, a motion picture executive, also worked for the CIA in Europe. This astonishing revelation, coupled with his father's dark struggles with alcoholism, upended the world of a boy struggling to become a man. Decades later, as he faces his own personal demons, Ian realizes the only way to find peace is to voyage back through a childhood marked by extremes--privilege and hardship, violence and tenderness, truth and deceit--that he's spent years trying to forget. In this surprisingly funny and forgiving memoir, Ian reminds us that no matter how different the pieces may be, in the end we are all cut from the same cloth, stitched by faith into an exquisite quilt of grace.

My Take on the BookI had never read any of this authors' work in the past so I did not know what to expect, but the title alone sold me on this one. As I got into the book itself I was amazed to find that the book was amazingly honest and down-to-earth and the author has a style that will draw you in and make you think that you are sitting with him having a conversation.

The authors' life growing up was amazingly tough, with an alcoholic father and not even knowing that his father was in the CIA, talk about dealing with a lot as a young child. As he continues to relate his story, he does a great job at taking the reader step-by-step through his life developing a clear picture of what life was live. His writing provides vivid images within my mind of the experiences that he had growing up, and I believe that this will only continue with other readers also!

This was a powerful book that will make you reflect on your own childhood! A Must Read!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: