Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review: Eliza's Cherry Trees: Japan's Gift to America

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Book Review: Eliza's Cherry Trees: Japan's Gift to America

About the Book
The National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C. is held annually in remembrance of the first cherry tree planting on March 27, 1912. Now an international symbol of peace and friendship, the trees first came to the nation’s capital from Tokyo, Japan, at the insistence of Eliza Scidmore.
 
Able to live a life different from most women in the late 1800s, Scidmore was dedicated to her ideas. She had the opportunity to travel with family and friends and wrote the first guidebook about Alaska while there on a trip. Wanting to share her adventures with others, she became the first woman to write for the National Geographic Society. But throughout her travels, she never forgot about the Japanese cherry trees she had seen while visiting her brother in Tokyo. It took her more than twenty years, but with the help of the president’s wife, Mrs. Taft; a Japanese scientist; and a lot of faith, Scidmore’s dream of beautifying her hometown came true.

My Take on the BookThis is a wonderful story that is well written and beautifully illustrated. On top of this, the story is a great one that teaches persistence even in the midst of challenges. My girls loved the fact that Eliza was a person that had an idea that she did not give up on. It reminded me a lot of a project that Diva-J worked on last year and did not give up on.  

I mentioned that the illustrations were remarkable. The blossoms were The pictures of the blossoms are gorgeous. You get to follow her travels and experience what she does through the story. I enjoyed pointing to some places that I have been and sharing these with my daughters as well. 

The book itself was very well written and is one that I can tell we will be reading over and over! 


All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.  
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader 
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

1 comment:

Andrea Zimmerman said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the story of Eliza! I was inspired by her persistence and her efforts to make her home town more beautiful. Thanks for your kind comments.
Andrea Z.