Dad of Divas' Reviews: Blu-ray Review - The Raven

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Blu-ray Review - The Raven

About the Blu-Ray
John Cusack and Luke Evans star in this blood-curdling tale of terror that's as dark and haunting as the legendary master of the macabre who inspired it - Edgar Allan Poe.

Baltimore, 1849. While investigating a horrific double murder, police detective Emmett Fields (Evans) makes a startling discovery: the killer's methods mirror the twisted writings of Edgar Allan Poe (Cusack). Suspecting Poe at first, Fields ultimately enlists his help to stop future attacks. But in this deadly game of cat and mouse, the stakes are raised with each gruesome slaying as the pair races to catch a madman before he brings every one of Poe's shocking stories to chilling life...and death.

Special Features:

BD
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes
    • Poetry Reading
    • The Red Mask
    • Emily’s Recital
    • Fields Check on Poe
    • Poe Brings Carl to Field’s Home
    • Doctor Clements and Fields
  • The Raven Guts: Bringing Death to Life
  • The Madness, Misery, and Mystery of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Behind the Beauty and Horror
  • The Raven Presents John Cusack and James McTeigue
  • Music for the Raven: The Team
  • Audio Commentary by Director James McTeigue, Producers Marc D. Evans, Trevor Macy and Aaron Ryder
  • Theatrical Trailer

DVD
  • Audio Commentary by Director James McTeigue, Producers Marc D. Evans, Trevor Macy and Aaron Ryder
  • Theatrical Trailer


My Take on the Blu-ray
As a fan of a good thriller as well of John Cusack, this movie looks like it was going to =be one that I was going to love. I was not disappointed. The movie itself is a great period piece and though only loosely coupled with true facts of Poe's life, the movie is still an adventure ride and fun for all viewers (in my perspective). I thought Cusack did a great job as Poe and the mystery itself that unfolds is definitely spellbinding and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end.

On top of all of this, the bonus features on the Blu-ray are amazing and add much to your understanding of the movie itself. For me, I loved the behind the scenes bonus features as it allowed me to see inside of the minds of the creators (which I always enjoy) as well as the deleted scenes.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed this film and think you will too, just get ready for a fun-filled thrill ride!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review of The Raven, DOD. I went online and rented it on Friday evening shortly before leaving my office at DISH. The movie was downloaded and ready to watch from my Hopper DVR before I even walked in my door. I thought it was a great movie. Cusack played the role of Poe very well, the story had me hooked through out the film, and the period setting was excellently captured. I would definitely recommend this movie, especially this time of year.