Dad of Divas' Reviews: Audiobook Review - Prairie Home Companion 40th Anniversary Collection

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Audiobook Review - Prairie Home Companion 40th Anniversary Collection

Prairie Home Companion 40th Anniversary Collection
 photo disclaimer_zpsd3x74ej2.jpg


About the Book
Since A Prairie Home Companion first went on air, July 6, 1974, a steady stream of great musicians has crossed its stage --- The Steele Sisters, Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings, Peter Ostroushko, The Wailin Jennys, Robin and Linda Williams Iris DeMent, Howard Levy --- plus the radio detective Guy Noir, the Cowboys Dusty and Lefty, the librarian Ruth Harrison, Duane and his Mother, and the good people if Lake Wobegon, Minnesota. An all-star roster of favorite performers joined to celebrate the anniversary on the lawn of Macalester, College in St. Paul, a stone's throw from the hall where the first broadcast was made. Some highlights from that show are presented here, interwoven with archival performances by Doc Watson, Odetta, Pete Seeger, Helen Schneyer, Chet Atkins, Bill Hinkley & Judy Larson, Soupy Schindler, and Tom Keith, With a memory-filled souvenir booklet.




My Take on the Book
As someone who loves audiobooks and the magic of a good story I was entranced by the humor and stories of Garrison Keillor. While I knew there were so many more stories that I loved from previous presentations of his Prairie Home Companion shows that I had heard in the past, but even though this was the case, I still enjoyed the monologues and musical pieces that were included here on this CD set. What I love most about everything on this CD was that the stories have the tell-tale charm, wit and humor that I have some to expect from Garrison Keillor. Every time I listen to one of his Lake Wobegon tales, it always makes me wonder what it would be like to actually visit this place in person and meet these humorous people. I highly recommend this CD to one and all, you will not be disappointed!


----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: