Dad of Divas' Reviews: First Alert “Heat is On” sweepstakes

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

First Alert “Heat is On” sweepstakes

With the first official day of winter almost upon us, First Alert has launched the “Heat is On” sweepstakes ( to help our Facebook fans prepare for winter – and we would like your help in spreading the word.

Now through Dec. 20, they’re giving away some cozy prizes to help their fans get through the winter months. On December 12, 14, 18 and 21, twelve winners will each win a “Heat is On” prize pack, including a First Alert carbon monoxide alarm, a men’s and women’s Marmot hat, and a pack of hot chocolate!

Carbon monoxide poisoning is most common during the winter months – due in part to the use of additional heat sources. To help your readers keep their loved ones warm – and safe – this winter, we invite you to share the below tips for protecting homes from the possible threat of carbon monoxide:

Protect Against CO Poisoning

  • Run kitchen vents or exhaust fans any time the stove is in use. The kitchen stove is among the most frequent sources of CO poisoning in the home. To help eliminate the danger of overexposure, never use the oven to heat a home. Always run exhaust fans when cooking, especially during the holidays when stoves are left on for longer periods of time. Also, open a nearby window periodically when cooking to allow fresh air to circulate.
  • Never use generators indoors. In the case of a power outage, portable electricity generators must be used outside only. Never use them inside the home, in a garage or in any confined area that can allow CO to collect. And, be careful to follow operating instructions closely. Also refrain from using charcoal grills, camp stoves or other similar devices indoors.
  • Have fuel-burning appliances inspected regularly. Arrange for a professional inspection of all fireplaces and fuel-burning appliances – such as furnaces, stoves, clothes dryers, water heaters and space heaters – annually to detect any CO leaks.
  • Be mindful of the garage. Warming the car in the morning before work is common during the winter months, but running vehicles inside an attached garage, even if the door is open, is hazardous, as CO can leak into the home.
  • Install/test CO alarms. Carbon monoxide alarms are the only way to detect this poisonous gas in a home. For maximum protection, alarms should be installed on every level of the home and near each sleeping area. Test alarm function monthly and change batteries every six months. In addition, alarms should be replaced every five to seven years to ensure proper function. If the installation date is unknown, replace immediately.

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at

No comments: