About SpellQuizzerSpellQuizzer is a product of TedCo Software which was founded by Daniel Hite. Dan started working as a corporate software developer in 1995 and formed the software business Auction Sentry Software in 2001 developing and marketing the popular eBay user utility called Auction Sentry. The software was highly successful and in 2007 was awarded the People's Choice Award at the Software Industry Conference. Dan sold the Auction Sentry Software business at the end of 2007 to focus on his newer educational products such as SpellQuizzer.
Some tips and things to consider about SpellQuizzer:
- SpellQuizzer was not designed with any one spelling curriculum in mind. In fact, it should compliment virtually any spelling curriculum since you create your own custom spelling lists.
- There is a page on the site specifically directed toward homeschoolers: http://www.spellquizzer.com/
- SpellQuizzer's built-in spellchecker recognizes both US and UK English spellings. The spellchecker warns the user when creating a spelling list if they enter a word that appears to be spelled incorrectly. Because of this safeguard it's reasonably safe to let children create their own spelling lists guided by the curriculum they are working on.
- It's always a good idea to try to make the sound recordings for word lists amusing for the child. Funny phrases or voices make it more fun and help to children engaged.
- There are several free downloadable spelling lists for SpellQuizzer on our web site at http://www.spellquizzer.com/
Spelling-Lists.htm. These lists include pre-made sound recordings. They are in the process of adding new lists to the site.
- Users can easily export and import SpellQuizzer spelling lists to share with other SpellQuizzer users. This makes it easy for members of homeschool groups to share their lists rather than everyone having to record their lists individually.
- There is a community area to their web site with discussion forums and an area where users can upload their own lists to share with others and download lists other SpellQuizzer users are sharing. This makes it easier than ever to share your lists with other SpellQuizzer users and for them to share their lists with you.
- If a user doesn't have a PC microphone (many computers come with them now free but they get lost or tossed in a drawer and forgotten) they can usually be purchased at any department store's electronics department for under $10. There's no need to invest in an expensive microphone as the inexpensive models usually produce acceptable recordings.
- On some Windows installations Microphone Boost isn't turned on by default. This can result in audio recordings made using a PC microphone being unacceptably faint even with the sound level turned all the way up. This affects all programs that work with a PC microphone and not just SpellQuizzer. There are instructions in the SpellQuizzer help file and also on the web site (http://www.spellquizzer.com/
MicrophoneBoost.htm) for turning Microphone Boost on if such a problem is encountered.
I can see that this program will be a great one in the future as she continues with her learning and is given spelling lists as this programs engages her and lets her have fun along the way.
If you have a child that is bringing home spelling lists, this program would be a great addition to your educational arsenal.
All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.
New to the Divadom?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at email@example.com