Dad of Divas' Reviews: It's Grilling Time! Stepping Up For a Challenge...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

It's Grilling Time! Stepping Up For a Challenge...

I was recently challenged to go to Sams Club and shop for supplies to grill something amazing in preparation for Easter. Yes, I said Easter, and yes you can grill your meal on Easter. You don't have to simply use your oven! Anyway, I scoured my books and recipes and found an amazing looking pork tenderloin recipe that I knew would be perfect. The one that I found was called: Disappearing Tenderloin. Yes, this name sounded very promising, as with having two little divas with tastes that vary, I wanted something that would disappear from their plates. The recipe was found in the [amazon_link id="0811831973" target="_blank" ]Big Weber's Grilling Cookbook [/amazon_link]-a cookbook I highly recommend!


The recipe include the following:

CookingHeat Instruction - Cook With Indirect Heat on Medium

FOR THE MARINADE:
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 pork tenderloin, about 1 pound each

FOR THE RUB:
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic

FOR THE PICO DE GALLO:
2 cups finely chopped ripe tomatoes
1 cup finely diced red onions
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 to 2 teaspoons minced serrano chiles, including seeds
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Extra-virgin olive oil

TO MAKE THE MARINADE: In a small bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients.

Trim any excess fat and silver skin from the tenderloins. Place the tenderloins in a large resealable plastic bag and add the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, turning occasionally.

TO MAKE THE RUB: In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients.

TO MAKE THE PICO DE GALLO: In a medium bowl combine the pico de gallo ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour to fully incorporate the flavors.

Remove the tenderloins from the bag and discard the marinade. Coat evenly with the rub and lightly brush or spray with olive oil. Allow to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.

Grill over Indirect Medium heat until the centers are barely pink and the internal temperature reaches 155°F, 25 to 30 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove from the grill, loosely cover with foil, and allow to rest for 3 to 5 minutes before cutting in thin slices on the bias. Serve warm with the pico de gallo.

From [amazon_link id="0811831973" target="_blank" ]Weber’s Big Book of Grilling[/amazon_link]. Copyright © 2001 Weber-Stephen Products Co. All rights reserved. First published by Chronicle Books LLC, San Francisco, California.

Back to my experience, this was a multi-step recipe and I am more of a one step kind-of-guy, but I tell you this was fun. I did document my experience at my local Sams Club below and I hope you will go and check it out.


More check-ins at Sams Club
Powered by Whrrl
I have to say that I was amazed at the variety that Sams Club provides its members. It had been a little bit of time since the last time I was at my local Sams Club, and in going this past week I was happy to find that the idea of providing bulk amounts for reasonable prices has continued in earnest.

I was happy to find some very good deals for people preparing for Easter including:
  • Kingsford® Original Charcoal ($16.68) – Lights easier and burns longer with Sure Fire Grooves®. Ready in about 15 mins
  • KC Masterpiece® Barbeque Sauce ($5.98 for two)
  • Greek Orzo Pasta ($4.38 per pound) – Made fresh daily
  • Delmonte® Corn ($5.58 for 8) – Perfect side dish
  • 3-Gallon Beverage Dispenser with Removable Ice Core and Infuser ($19.88) – Ice core is great for keeping beverage cool while infuser can be used for adding flavor
  • Easter Lilly ($16.88) –Traditional Easter plant with fragrant white trumpet flowers
  • Porcelain Platter and Oval Bowls Set ($19.98) – Beautiful for entertaining, yet durable for everyday use
There were a ton of other great deals (some of which I used myself). What I am getting at here is that if you are not a member of Sams Club, or you haven't been there for a while, you should go and check it out as you may be pleasantly surprised, like I was, at the breadth and depth of what they have to offer customers!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: