Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Second Messiah

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Book Review - Second Messiah

About the Book
This fictional plot has roots thousands of years old—some just now being literally unearthed. Recently, the discovery of Biblical codices found in Jordan may prove to be a bigger findthan even the Dead Sea Scrolls. Scholars are divided over the authenticity of the texts and the ownership of the tablets is hotly contested. As in TheSecond Messiah, such artifacts may have been found originally by Bedouins, but sometimes are sold or smuggled out of the country leading to dispute ownership. Jordan recently has introduced a law to automatically grant the state rights to newly discovered antiquities.

Also factual is the existence of several false Messiahs from Jesus’ time. “Numerous references and warnings exist in scripture regarding false prophets and false messiahs,” said Meade. “Jesus himself made some of these warnings.”

Out of the best-selling novels that Meade has written, all of which have received critical acclaim from sources such as The New York Times andWashington Post, Meade believes this book is his most important. “Sometimes, stories find the writer and not the other way round. I think that happened withThe Second Messiah,” Meade said. “Archeology and religion have always interested me—I’ve written about both before, though in a minor way—but I guess mulling over my own life kick-started me into combining both subjects in a novel.”



My Take on the BookThis thriller is one that brings in many of the issues that we are dealing in present day society and makes them tangible in a new setting. The author has done an amazing job at intersecting politics and religion. In a way the book reminded me of a Dan Brown novel with a different twist. The author pays very close attention to detail, from the description of the dead sea scrolls to the explanation of the environment surrounding the characters, you feel as if you are drawn into the book and, at least for me, become completely engrossed in the book itself.

The book is fast paced and the world that is shared with the readers is one in which spiritual powers are divided to the extent of shattering the overall structure of the religious structure themselves.

The characters in the book were great. You had both antagonists and protagonists and the priests that the author shares were priests unlike any that I have ever met - talk about evil!


Overall, I enjoyed this book completely and believe that you will as well! 


All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews? Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed!
Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a line to say a sincere thank you for your kind review of my book, The Second Messiah.
Thanks for taking the time to review it.
best wishes to you and your family,
Glenn Meade