Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - On the Volcano

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Book Review - On the Volcano

About the Book
The year is 1875. Katie MacDonald lives with her father on the rim of a volcano so remote she has only met three people in her life. They've built a simple but happy life for themselves, far from thefrontier perils of the world below—until a long-promised birthday trip to the rough-and-tumble town of Badwater takes an ugly turn and brings the outside world much too close. With it comes grave danger and unimaginable loss, but also something Katie had barely dreamed possible for herself: a heart-pounding but tender romance. Before it ends, four people are dead. None accidentally.

On the Volcano is a tale of hidden gold, murder, and romance. Katie is loyal and naïve, but she is also a tough and brave frontier woman: a tracker and a hunter who does what it takes to make it through the day. The simmering volcano is a powerful metaphor for the dangerous times in which she lives, and the future she must face.




My Take on the Book
This book was a great story showing the beauty, land and the coming of age of a young woman. I was impressed with the vivid depiction within the story itself. I also was impressed with the strong characterization of the main character Katie. She is strong, confident and a good example of what women should aspire to (in my perspective).

The book also was a great of survival in a harsh location. I read this to my daughter and she loved the story and though there were some topics that I had to explain to my daughter (as she is only 7). She really enjoyed the story and the characters also, and she asked me whether there were other stories like this as well (always a good sign).



This was a great story and one that I would recommend for any young adult, especially for young women!


All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: