About the Book
Bridge the gap between leadership development and career preparation!
This guidebook gives leadership educators the tools they need to help students develop the competencies necessary for their chosen careers and required by their academic programs. It also offers a way to understand and demonstrate the effectiveness of leadership programs.
Organized into chapters each focused on one of 60 leadership competencies common across 522 academic degree programs accredited by 97 agencies, each chapter covers:
- a definition and description of the competency through the lens of each of four dimensions: knowledge, value, ability, and behavior;
- a scenario related to college student leadership that showcases the competency in action;
- related competencies to help readers understand how developing one competency may also intentionally or unintentionally develop another;
- a correlation of the competency to the Relational Leadership Model, the Social Change Model, the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership, and/or Emotionally Intelligent Leadership; and
- tangible curricular ideas to use with students to help them develop each dimension of the competency.
My Take on the Book
What I loved about this book was how easy it was to follow and understand. The book has so many great examples throughout of leadership in action and all of the examples are targeted and hit specific points that relate to the chapter and concept at hand. I loved that the sections also tied into the CAS standards for higher education as this is something that all of our institutions are working to incorporate.
The book has a wealth of resources shared throughout and walks you through step-by-step in how to design intentional leadership learning opportunities that can be implemented in any type of situation. Also, the connection of each concept to different leadership models allows you to stay true to the model you are trying to follow or implement on your own campus, which makes the learning connections for yourself even more transparent.
All-in-all this is a great book that will be a great asset for any leadership development that you are working with on your own campus!
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org