Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Brother Jerome and the Angels in the Bakery

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Book Review - Brother Jerome and the Angels in the Bakery

About the Book
"Brother Jerome and the Angels in the Bakery," authored by Fr. Dominic Garramone, OSB, and illustrated by Richard Bernal, has been selected to receive a Christopher Award in the Books for Young People category. Fr. Dominic, as he is known from his public television shows and specials, will accept the honor at the 62nd annual Christopher Award ceremony in New York City on May 19.

A beautifully told and illustrated book, "Brother Jerome and the Angels in the Bakery" helps readers relate to the protagonist's anxieties about failure. Brother Jerome's monastery, bakery and supporters come to life, as he relies on faith to gain self-confidence through adversity.

Since 1949, the Christopher Awards have annually saluted media (TV programming, feature films, books for adults and children) that "affirm the highest values of the human spirit." Christopher Award winners celebrate the humanity of people in a positive way.  They encourage audiences to see the better side of human nature and motivate artists and the general public to use their best instincts on behalf of others.


My Take on the Book
My daughters and I read this book together and they and I loved it! As a father I am always looking for books that teach about values, family, serving others, persistence and love, and this book seemed to encompass all of these. As my daughters are little bookworms, they will spend a ton of time each day looking at books (even my 3 year old) and this book was just the same.

The girls stated that they loved the pictures, and I have to agree. The illustratios are filled with so much meaning and though the tones are muted, the imagery presented is wonderful!

I also liked the spiritual nature of this book. I always struggle at how best to weave my own faith into what I am teaching my own children, but this book allowed me to share some of my own beliefs. I also liked the prayer at the end of the book, as it was to the point but also selfless, which for me are some of the best kind of prayers.

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: