Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - That's Not What Happened

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Book Review - That's Not What Happened

That's Not What Happened



About the Book
It's been three years since the Virgil County High School Massacre. Three years since my best friend, Sarah, was killed in a bathroom stall during the mass shooting. Everyone knows Sarah's story--that she died proclaiming her faith.But it's not true.I know because I was with her when she died. I didn't say anything then, and people got hurt because of it. Now Sarah's parents are publishing a book about her, so this might be my last chance to set the record straight . . . but I'm not the only survivor with a story to tell about what did--and didn't--happen that day.Except Sarah's martyrdom is important to a lot of people, people who don't take kindly to what I'm trying to do. And the more I learn, the less certain I am about what's right. I don't know what will be worse: the guilt of staying silent or the consequences of speaking up . . .


My Take on the Book
This is a great book that was not a subject that my kids had read about before. We have talked about active shooter drills and about some of the shootings that have happened in other schools across the country. This story looks at Lee who is a high school senior who has lived through some horrific experiences including the death of his friend Sarah who was wounded by another student who opened fire on their school as well as taking the lives of seven others too. The book explores the emotions that one goes through when dealing with this type of experience and you can tell that Lee has more going on with the experiences that was experienced versus what people know of what happened. The book takes a turn though when Sarah's parents plan to publish a book about what they think happened and Lee decided to share what really happened and this does not go as well as you might think. This was a powerful book that will keep you reading from beginning to end!


----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: