The great folks over at Gotham Books gave me the opportunity to review a new book from Rev Run and Justine Simmons, or better know to many as the folks from MTV's Run's House. For those of you who may be a bit older, you may also know Rev Run as one of the past rappers from Run DMC.
After being asked to review this, I have to be honest and say that I did not know what to expect. I had never watched Run's House as I don't watch MTV that often. I also have not listened to Run DMC for years, nor have I read Justine Simmons' childrens' book (though I just saw it in the store this past weekend!).
So when I received the book, I have to say that I was cautious. That was until I started reading the book itself. As I began reading this book, I could tell that it was not going to be yet another book that simply provided a self serving glimpse into a famous family. Instead, the book truly takes an in depth look at what makes their family work and what they have had to go through to get their family into the cohesive, loving family that people see on television.
I particularly enjoyed the fact that the writing within the book is delineated between the two main authors so the reader knows who is addressing what. I also enjoyed the blatant truths and humor that was used to get the point across. The book does a good job at providing the reader an understanding that fame is fleeting but family is forever.
The book does have some faith based components as they make it clear that faith is important to their family life. Yet, the book is not dominated by these concepts. Nor is the book targeted at one ethnic group. They specifically touch on this fact early in the book to dispel the misconception that they are writing only to certain families. Instead they state that this book is for all families.
The book overall is full of great insights and down-to-earth ideas and examples that a reader can understand. I give this book a 10 out of 10 on the Dad of Divas Scale.
If this book sounds like something you would be interested in, I worked out a great giveaway for 5 lucky readers. All you need to do is leave a comment telling me one reason why you feel that you need to take back your family, or what you have done to take back your family. That's it! The contest will run for one week and will end on August 11.
- Blog about my Take Back Your Family Giveaway by linking back to this post (1 entries per blog post. Please leave each entry in separate comments with your URL link in order for it to count)
- Grab my badge to your sidebar (one entry per day)
- Subscribe to this blog either by RSS or email for one entry (top right hand corner, if you already do leave in a separate comment)
- Stumble this post. (leave username in comment per day)
- Follow me on Twitter (@dadofdivas) (leave username in comment)
- Share this giveaway on Twitter, Facebook or any forum, including the name of the prize and a link to this post. Here I'll make it easier on you, copy and paste this:
" @dadofdivas is giving away 5, Take Back Your Family Books by the Run's House family - http://dadofdivas.blogspot.com" (Then leave the link to your post. One entry per place per day)
- Bookmark this post in Delicious, Digg, StumbleUpon, or whatever social bookmarking site is your favorite. (Leave comment with the info. One entry per site per day)
- Add me to your Technorati Favs list (one entry, leave username in comment)
This contest will run until August 11 at approximately 11:59 pm Eastern.
Winners are chosen at random, if you want all your chances counted, make sure you leave individual comments, not all of them in one!
Winner has 48 hours to contact me or another name will be chosen.
Open to USA Only
Rules for each entry must be followed to be valid.
New to the Divadom?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at email@example.com